Field Services Technician
Swift Current - Saskatchewan (SK),
At Tervita, skilled, dedicated, enthusiastic employees are at the heart of everything we do. From the services we provide to our dedication to the environment, we create a dynamic energy that emanates from our core. Tervita is an industry pioneer, having provided industrial waste management and environmental services for 40 years.
Our people are the reason we are a leader in our industry. We are committed to building and nurturing a great place to work, learn and develop. We are proud of our people and our company.
To learn more about Tervita, please visit tervita.com
Tervita is currently looking for a temporary Field Services Technician to join our Saskatchewan team based in Swift Current. The Field Service Technician is primarily responsible in providing technical assistance and on-site services for all aspects of environmental & waste services. Additionally, the Field Service Technician will also be an active contributing member of our Incident Response Team.
This is an 8 month temporary position. Term will be April - November or May - December.
- Attend safety meetings
- Abide by Tervita’s Occupational Health and Safety Program
- Communicate all safety concerns with Field Supervisors
- Complete and submit Daily Tailgates, JSA’s, FLHA’s and Hazard ID’s
- Sample / test waste to determine transportation, packing and / or disposal requirements
- Select and utilize appropriate PPE for the task at hand
- Ensure waste is identified, transported and disposed of in accordance with regulatory requirements
- Complete appropriate manifest / paperwork to support the waste pick up
- Evaluate customer need and communicate it back to the appropriate Sales Representatives or Project Coordinators
- Respond to and support all Incident Response work
- Provide facility support and process work as required
- Operate small equipment such as forklifts, man lifts, pumps etc.
- Supervise project work ensuring all operations adhere to Tervita’s safety standards
- Conduct field work at remote project sites on an as needed basis
- Assist transportation group by completing waste pickups utilizing commercial vehicles as required
- Technical Diploma or Degree in a Science or an Environmental related discipline or demonstrated competency
- Previous experience in the Waste Management or a comparable industry would be an asset
- Valid and current Class 5 Driver’s License with clean abstract required. Class 1 & 3 License an asset.
- Must be willing and able to work through difficult weather conditions and challenging work site environments
- Must be willing and able to work on flexible shifts, long hours, weekends and travel away from home as business demands
- Technical and regulatory knowledge with respect to the waste services industry
- Ability to perform physical tasks, including lifting, shoveling, moving containers and other heavy materials
- Good computer & mobile device skills with ability to effectively utilize Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Windows & applications as required
- Fit-for-Work each day which includes being clean shaven
- Ability to work at heights and in confined spaces
- Additional industrial education and experience would be an asset, such as H2S Alive, First Aid Training, Fall Protection Awareness, oilfield driving experience etc.
- NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Technician, Picker Operation, Construction Safety Officer, Air Brakes Certification, or Confined Space Rescue training is an asset
- Required to be on call and respond 24 hours a day as a member of the Incident Response Team
- Ability to communicate effectively and express thoughts and ideas in a clear and concise manner
- Good time management skills and ability to work effectively under pressure and meet demanding deadlines
- Ability to work effectively in an unsupervised environment
- Good listening skills along with ability to accept and follow direction
- Ability to multi-task, assess situations and prioritize tasks accordingly
Tervita Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender/sex, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, the basis of genetic information or any other group protected by Federal or Provincial law or local ordinance.
Applicants who are extended an employment offer will be required to complete a pre-employment check. All employment offers are contingent upon the successful completion of this pre-employment process.