Saskatoon - Saskatchewan (SK),
University of Saskatchewan
Estimated salary $20.52 - $24.63 an hour
Clerical Assistant (req5409)
Status: Term one year
Employment Group: CUPE 1975 - Restricted
Shift: 2 to 3 days per week, 8:00am to 4:00pm
Full Time Equivalent (FTE): 0.4FTE to 0.6FTE
Salary: The salary range, based on 1.0 FTE, is $20.52 - 24.63 per hour. The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Salary Family (if applicable): Operational Services
Salary Phase: Phase 3
Posted Date: 1/22/2020
Closing Date: 3/4/2020
Number of Openings: 1
Primary Purpose: The primary purpose of the position is to provide reception, scheduling, administrative, undergraduate and postgraduate support to the staff, residents, and faculty members of the Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative Medicine & Pain Management.
Nature of Work: This position reports to the Coordinator, Finance & Administration for the Department of Anesthesiology. This position is the first point of contact for the department and is the go-to person for all administrative tasks which support the smooth functioning of the department.
The position is required to work collaboratively with staff, residents, faculty, patients, University of Saskatchewan and Saskatchewan Health Authority employees and outside stakeholders. The work environment is fast-paced, collaborative, responsive and always changing, with a need to revisit priorities and revise task completion on a regular basis and respond to last minute requests and just in time responses to support staff, faculty and residents.
Typical Duties or Accountabilities:
The work completed includes all levels of administrative tasks, including:
- Being the first point of contact for all who enter the department or contact the department by phone or general email.
- Ensuring access to all administrative equipment (printers/fax/phone), rooms, keys and supplies needed for department members to complete their duties.
- Preparing communication documents, including emails, letters, posters, newsletters, notices and reference material.
- Attending meetings and preparing relevant minutes for accurate records of decision and action items; providing support to complete action items.
- Scheduling regular department events such as Grand Rounds and CME learning events; ensuring all logistical details are arranged including room booking, WebEx, tech support and catering, as required.
- Scheduling obstetrical consults and communicating accurate, timely details to patients and anesthesiologists.
- Managing delivery of incoming and outgoing correspondence, including courier deliveries and mail forwarding.
- Managing and updating department contact lists, shared electronic mailbox and shared calendar.
- Updating weekly schedules, calendars, electronic message boards and ensuring accurate and timely delivery of information.
- Creating and updating templates for weekly schedules and block calendars for UGME/PGME program.
- Creating and updating procedures/reference
Education: Completion of Grade 12 and a one year post-secondary business/administrative program from a recognized post-secondary institution.
Experience: Minimum two years of office experience preferred, preferably in a university setting.
Effective interpersonal skills, both written and verbal;
Demonstrated public relations skills including the ability to interact effectively with public, staff, students, and university personnel;
Ability to handle interactions with tact, diplomacy, discretion, confidentiality and cultural sensitivity;
Proven ability to work in a high volume setting, with regular interruptions and changes to the daily priorities;
Ability to work on multiple projects with competing demands and varied timelines;
Demonstrated effective organizational and time management skills;
Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a collaborative team;
High level of attention to detail and practiced ability to review work independently to ensure details are accurate;
Ability to self-initiate and show confidence in decision making;
Ability to follow directions provided by others, while at the same time exercising initiative when required;
Experienced knowledge of office procedures;
Basic knowledge of University of Saskatchewan and/or Saskatchewan Health Authority procedures is an asset;
Strong computer skills including keyboarding and proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint;
Experience with SharePoint, PAWS, USask programs, including 25Live, and One45 is considered an asset.