Executive Assistant, Communications
Saskatchewan - Saskatchewan (SK),
75 hours, biweekly
This posting is to cover a maternity leave, starting May 4, 2020 and ending January 21, 2022.
Job Duties/Qualifications, Skills and Abilities(QSA)
The executive assistant is accountable to the associate vice-president, communications and marketing, for providing senior level administrative support to all functions of the office of the associate vice-president and the communications and marketing division. This position manages the operational aspects, and oversees the general supervision and direction of the office of the associate vice-president, coordinating its activity and interacting with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. The executive assistant acts as a project manager by deploying resources, leading activities and realizing the goals of the office of the associate vice-president.
The executive assistant has considerable discretionary judgment, manages sensitive and confidential issues and works under pressure in a fast-paced environment as various and ever-changing deadlines are constant. The executive assistant has a highly developed sense of responsibility and ensures work is completed with minimal direction as the associate vice-president spends a considerable amount of time away from the office.
Located at a Saskatchewan Polytechnic campus, the executive assistant acts as a key contact between the office of the associate vice-president and internal and external stakeholders sharing information and resources to all parties. The division is responsible for leading the promotion of our communications and institutional strategies to achieve our goals and advance our standing in the national/international post-secondary education market; overseeing the development and execution of marketing plans and campaigns and leading internal and external communications.
The executive assistant understands the institutional, divisional, academic and administrative structures of Saskatchewan Polytechnic including lines of authority, communication and reporting. On occasion, the executive assistant travels to various locations across the province to provide support for the division.
The executive assistant provides administrative support to assist the Communications and Marketing division in developing, enhancing and implementing a wide variety of Communications and Marketing services across Saskatchewan Polytechnic.
1. Administrative Management
- Manage and coordinate the day-to-day operational administration and support for the associate vice-president’s office.
- Manage the office of the associate vice-president’s frontline contact with various stakeholders, and coordinate calendar scheduling to ensure appropriate time management.
- Summarize the needs of parties requesting time and gather necessary material to ensure the associate vice-president and other senior managers are adequately prepared for meetings.
- Research, draft, review and coordinate reports, proposals, policies, position descriptions, communications and presentations initiated by the associate vice-president directed towards various internal and external stakeholders.
- Research, gather, compile, prepare, format and/or proofread material for publication as required.
- Format, proofread and/or distribute news releases, media advisories and public service announcements.
- Coordinate the purchase of Saskatchewan Polytechnic promotional items.
- Input/format copy as requested by the AVP, Communications and Marketing.
- Write copy as requested by the AVP, Communications and Marketing.
- Coordinate deadlines for design and production of materials.
- Coordinate printing and distribution of reports and other print materials
- Coordinate and ensure layout of advertising copy meeting specifications approved
- Ensure advertising meets visual identity standards
- Manage and coordinate file and electronic information and retention systems for the division.
- Communicate institutional policies and procedures within the division.
- Manage the information flow of notes and materials resulting from meetings and organize these materials, coordinating scheduling of time and appointments to accomplish goals set in meetings.
2. Strategic Project Management
- Provide administrative direction and implement processes to increase efficiency for all functional areas within Communications and Marketing.
- Assist with the collection, integration and dissemination of the Saskatchewan Polytechnic operating and capital budget submissions and related multi-year business plan.
3. Relationship Management
- Build and maintain relationships among the offices of the president; provost & vice president, academic; CFO & vice president, administrative services; vice president, advancement and international associate vice-presidents; deans; board of directors and other members of senior management to ensure high quality and consistent services.
- Establish and maintain effective interaction with members of the Communications and Marketing division and staff of other divisions/departments on all matters relating to Communications and Marketing.
- As an initial point of contact for the office of the associate vice-president, anticipate potential problems, act to field concerns and resolve difficult situations including sensitive issues requiring absolute discretion while maintaining effective rapport with internal and external parties.
- Maintain confidentiality in all communications with additional sensitivity utilized in instances of forthcoming organizational changes which have potential to impact staff and/or their respective conditions of employment.
- Provide effective interaction with various external stakeholders such asgovernment and non-government agencies; other educational institutions; business and industry; and the general public; to answer queries or direct stakeholders to the appropriate resource.
- As an initial point of contact for the office of the associate vice-president, anticipate potential concerns, act to field concerns and resolve difficult situations while maintaining effective rapport with external parties.
- Work effectively with service providers to ensure seamless delivery of products and service.
4. People Management
- Ensure a positive, diverse and inclusive work and learning environment.
- Review timesheet submissions as directed by the AVP, Communications and Marketing
5. Resource Allocation
- Update and inform the associate vice-president on budget matters by tracking and reviewing budgets for accuracy and presenting reports on an as needed basis.
- Provide budget consultation and support for other Communications and Marketing budget unit managers within the division.
- Research and coordinate the division’s submission for financial reporting.
- Develop innovative solutions to resource challenges.
6. Meeting Coordination
- Oversee the development and coordination of all meetings in Communications and Marketing including agendas, materials, invitations and response lists, and minute preparation as required.
- Coordinate logistical arrangements to ensure seamless presentation of events as needed.
- Oversee the travel arrangements for guests, the associate vice-president and all other management within Communications and Marketing.
- Manage and coordinate membership orientation and renewals as required by the associate vice-president and other out-of-scope management members of the division.
- Manage meeting budgets.
Requirements include a post-secondary diploma or certificate from a recognized business course and a minimum of five years’ experience in an administrative support position with increasingly senior roles. It is necessary to have a high level of computer literacy, be willing to learn new programs and have intermediate knowledge of current Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat software. A history of strong organizational skills and budget management are required. Experience at a large publicly funded institution with a dynamic, fast-paced, multi-dimensional environment is considered an asset.