Economic Development Officer
Charlottetown - Prince Edward Island (PE),
City of Charlottetown
Estimated salary $69,319 a year
NATURE OF WORK: The incumbent will work on matters relating to the development of Charlottetown’s economy including; development, business retention, business expansion, and soliciting economic opportunities for the City in compliance with the City’s Integrated Community Sustainability Plan. This individual will also be responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with Federal and Provincial government agencies as well as local agencies involved in promoting and coordinating economic development opportunities within Charlottetown.
This job description reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in such classification.
The confidentiality of City affairs shall be respected and practiced at all times.
- Reports directly to the C.A.O.
- Works closely with the Economic Development, Tourism, & Event Management Chair and Committee.
- Establishes effective relations with Federal, Provincial, and Municipal officials, industrial and professional groups, and the business community.
- Develops and maintains close working relationships with departmental managers, supervisors and all City employees, in particular, the Events Development Officer and Tourism Officer.
- Develops and fosters close working relationships with service providers, external agencies, consultants and associated professional groups.
- Deals with the public with integrity and in a professional and courteous manner.
- As a committed member of the leadership team for the City of Charlottetown, the Economic Development Officer acts as a positive role model for all employees throughout the organization in provision of excellent service to our citizens.
- Works with the Committee Chair, Mayor and Council to provide advice, assistance and guidance in community economic development issues.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Establishes economic development marketing initiatives including advertising, marketing documents, website development, promotions, and communications assistance, in conjunction with Communications Staff.
- Conducts special projects in a wide range of areas with the goal of enhancing economic opportunities in the city in conjunction with Innovation PEI, PEI Bio-Alliance and C.A.D.C., and working with community stakeholders in an effort to fulfill the City’s Integrated Community Sustainability Plan.
- Responds to enquiries from members of the business community concerning development opportunities within the City.
- Conducts discussions, reviews development opportunities and provides advice to individuals and organizations on current City procedures and requirements.
- Organizes and/or attends required meetings between Federal, Provincial, and/or Municipal development agency officials relative to initiatives, including, but not limited to, business attraction missions.
- On behalf of the City, leads the attraction and retention of Immigrants to Charlottetown in co-ordination with Innovation PEI, and organizations such as the PEI Association For Newcomers To Canada and PEI Connectors.
- Maintains positive working relationships with organizations such as (but not limited to): Innovation PEI, PEI Association For Newcomers To Canada, PEI Connectors, Greater Charlottetown Area Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Charlottetown INC., Charlottetown Airport Authority, PEI Bio-Alliance, Atlantic Canada Economic Coalition, CADC, University of PEI, Holland College, Startup
- Proven skills in the area of economic development, marketing, prospecting and administration.
- Demonstrated abilities in critical thinking, relationship management, strategic agility and political acumen.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES CONTINUED:
- Knowledge of municipal planning, sustainability practices, and development procedures, including regulatory agencies and their mandates.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills and proficient skills in the use of modern office systems and equipment
- Excellent writing and communication skills and a high level of attention to detail.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to engage others.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills to meet frequent and aggressive deadlines.
- Excellent judgment and the ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential data and situations with tact, professionalism and discretion.
- Excellent analytical and research skills paired with the ability to create and alter detailed reports as required.
- Ability to easily build relationships with City staff, members of the general public, government officials and the business community.
- Ability to work flexible hours as required to travel and attend various meetings, functions, events and conferences, which may include evenings and weekends.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and the use of personal vehicle.
- A post-secondary degree in Commerce, Business Administration or equivalent field of study.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in the following areas:
- Coordination and implementation of long range economic / business development activities;
- Business prospecting, branding, marketing and sales;
- Facilitating partnerships among business, academic and government / agency stakeholders that develop and support innovation networks and hubs;
- Managing projects with wide range of scope and complexity
- Economic development, marketing, business prospecting
- High-level administrative capacity.
- An equivalent combination of education or experience may be considered.
Application Deadline: 2020-12-16
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $69,319.00 per year
- 8 hour shift
- Economic development, marketing, business prospecting: 5 years (Required)
- Secondary School (Required)