Human Resource Generalist
Toronto - Ontario (ON),
Human Resource Business Partner, Toronto office
About SV Academy
SV Academy is on a mission to break through elitism in the tech industry.
We are an educational organization that provides direct access to tech careers for millions of non-traditional job seekers who lack prior industry work experience or inside connections. Learning is delivered virtually through a series of self-paced individual and team projects, 1:1 professional coaching, applied internships, and career readiness preparation. Our main focus is on sales and human-centered career paths that often advance into leadership roles.
In just two years we have partnered with more than 150 top employers in Silicon Valley, engaged with more than 10,000 job seekers, and achieved an average of 2.2x income expansion for our graduates transitioning into entry-level positions. Our job seekers have incredibly diverse backgrounds: 60% are women, 40% are African American/Latinx, and 70% were the first in their family to graduate from college.
SV Academy is led by an equally diverse set of serial entrepreneurs who have started and sold software companies to Oracle and HP, and supported by a world-class team.
- Provide HR business partner support to leaders & members by providing guidance and advice on all HR related matters
- Experience ensuring compliance and regulatory requirements are met in both Canada and US including but not limited to employment law, health & safety, internal policy development and other programs
- Ensure payroll tax payments are in compliance with applicable federal, provincial and local tax laws and regulations
- Key stakeholder in on-boarding, culture, engagement and retention initiatives
- Take the lead on developing and rolling out learning & development programs and opportunities
- Drive employee engagement
- Manage and resolve employee relations issues
- Take on any additional special projects as required
- Other tasks and projects as required to support growth of company
- 5-7+ years in a HR specialist or generalist function within a start-up software-as-a-service and/or EdTech
- Experience in a high-growth company
- Degree in HR or related discipline, or equivalent experience
- Adept at handling sensitive documents and situations, with the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Knowledge of Canadian and US labour regulations
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong collaboration and change management skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to thrive in rapidly-changing environment
- Team player with the drive to work autonomously
- Preferred - CHRP designation
What's in It for You?
- An environment that encourages initiatives and leadership opportunities
- Quarterly team retreats
- Social events throughout the year
- Work with highly talented people in the EdTech space who are as passionate about their craft as you are!
Computer Software Information Technology & Services
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
Job Type: Permanent
- Human Resources: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- CHRP (Preferred)