Toronto - Ontario (ON),
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
Estimated salary $107,500 - $135,914 a year
Holland Bloorview’s vision is to support the most meaningful and healthy futures for all children, youth and families.
Holland Bloorview is an academic hospital, fully affiliated with the University of Toronto. All clinical staff are expected to contribute to the academic agenda through one or more of the following activities: supervising students, teaching, academic service, scholarship and research.
The Dietetic Assistant (DA) employs strategies and through collaboration with others, works to achieve common goals by effectively sharing and applying knowledge and skills in food, nutrition, dietetics, and food services management. He/she demonstrates competence, and accepts accountability and responsibility for ensuring safe, quality practice and service to our inpatient clients. The DA must demonstrate excellent communication and customer service skills, experience in pediatric nutrition, the ability to work closely with the Registered Dietitian (RD) and other healthcare professionals and some experience with rehab and complex continuing care. This position includes supporting clinical practice under the supervision of the RD, contributing to dietetic policies and procedures/standards of practice, and works with Food Services to ensure client satisfaction and clients receive appropriate nutrition meal plans. The successful candidate will be required to work directly with clients, interdisciplinary teams, and Food Services. The DA will support in nutrition risk screening, implementation of a nutrition care plan, follow ups and provide low risk diet education to our clients and families. They will be actively engaged in the Food Services flow of operations and serve as a liaison between Food Services and our inpatient clinical teams at Holland Bloorview.
The position is split between the inpatient rehabilitation unit and time spent in our kitchen; they will require knowledge and understanding of the role of a Registered Dietitian and understanding of a hospital kitchen. The DA has a clear understanding of the scope of practice for the Nutrition and Dietetics Assistant. The successful candidate will be a member of the Canadian Association of Nutrition Managers and complies with the professional standards identified by Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation. The DA reports to the Inpatient Operations Manager and Director of Food Services.
- Liaison between inpatient rehabilitation units and Food Services. Key contact for interprofessional team for all inpatient client needs.
- Ongoing collection of information to support 4-week menu cycle. Will be key asset to testing and knowledge translation of menu content.
- Under the supervision of the Registered Dietitian (RD) supports key oversight and communication concerning delivery of quality food and
- At Holland Bloorview, we promote excellence through research and innovation.
- 2-year college program in food and nutrition management or 4-year university degree in food and nutrition
- Current registration with the Canadian Association of Nutrition Managers https://www.csnm.ca/
- Current registration with Dietitians of Canada an asset
- Experience with IDDSI program an asset
- Pediatric experience and experience working with children with disabilities preferred
- Knowledge of enteral and infant feeding an asset
- Ability to set priorities and manage a busy workload while meeting required deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently, and in an interdisciplinary team environment
- Demonstrated problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Able to use computer software such as MS Office applications, email and web applications
- Competence of ESHA food analysis program an asset