Toronto - Ontario (ON),
City of Toronto
Estimated salary $32.97 - $36.13 an hour
Job ID: 5085
Job Category: Audit, Compliance & Inspections
Division & Section: Transportation Services, Toronto & East York District
Work Location: 433 Eastern Avenue & 64 Murray Rd
Job Type & Duration: 5 Permanent, 1 Temporary (9 month) vacancies
Hourly Rate and Wage Grade: $32.97 - $36.13
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week
Number of Positions Open: 6
Posting Period: 28-Feb-2020 to 13-Mar - 2020
Location and Shift Information:
- 1 Permanent position at 64 Murray Road
- 4 Permanent positions at 433 Eastern Avenue
- 1 Temporary position at 433 Eastern Avenue
- Patrols roads and inspects right of way, for safe passage of all traffic
- Patrols roads and makes minor repairs to traffic control signs, reports on malfunctioning traffic control signals, performs temporary pothole repair, removes debris or cleans up spills, etc.
- Maintains records, provides information to contractors and inspects the work to ensure compliance with Standards, Specifications and contractual agreements and takes appropriate action as necessary
- Provides information and inspects work of contractors performing summer and winter maintenance operations, e.g. catch basin cleaning, repairing utility cuts, crack filling, road maintenance, sidewalk repairs, asphalt repairs and salting and ploughing of roads and sidewalks, etc.
- Provides information to contracted snow removal crews to salt or plough as required for both the road and sidewalk, etc. Patrols and inspects routes during winter operations, to ensure salting and ploughing operations are carried out
- Ensures safety of work sites, e.g. bridging of trenches with planked platforms for pedestrians, etc. Channels traffic and ensures set up of signs for traffic control and direction, in accordance with safety guidelines
- Marks areas on roads, sidewalks, curbs, and gutters, etc. to be repaired/constructed by contractor's crews
- Schedules material samplings for laboratory testing as well as testing in the field
- Measures repaired/constructed areas and enters measurements in Service Pro tablet to calculate payments to contractors
- Loads and unloads materials such as salt, sand, cones, signs and shovels, etc. to and from the vehicle to conduct minor repairs within the R-O-W to ensure public safety
- Liaises with utility
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience with road maintenance procedures and materials used.
- Experience patrolling or inspecting construction activities.
- Must possess and maintain a Driver's License Class "G", valid in the Province of Ontario and be able to pass and maintain a City of Toronto driver's permit.
You must also have:
- Knowledge of construction materials and applicable material tests.
- General knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
- Ability to work a rotating shift, extended hours as required and in inclement weather/road conditions during weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays.
- Ability to carry out measurements and maintain records.
- Ability to inspect road construction and maintenance work under the direction of an Inspector, Supervisor, Senior Engineer or Superintendent.
- Must be physically capable to perform required duties.
- With the appropriate safety precautions, must be able to tolerate heights, dusty, noisy, odorous conditions and confined spaces.
- Ability to read and write and communicate effectively.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, organize and work independently.
- Ability to travel between base location and other Road Operation Yards across the City of Toronto as required.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request.