CERTIFIED POOL TECHNICIAN
Toronto - Ontario (ON),
City of Toronto
Estimated salary $32.67 an hour
Job ID: 4579
Job Category: Parks & Natural Resources
Division & Section: Parks, Forestry & Recreation, PFR Parks
Work Location: KIPLING AVENUE YARD-PARKS MTCE BLDG, 441 Kipling Ave
Job Type & Duration: Full-time, Permanent
Hourly Rate: $32.67
Hours & Shift Information: September to May: Monday to Friday, 7am-3pm/ June to September: Wednesday to Friday, 11am-7pm and Saturday-Sunday, 9am-5pm
Affiliation: L416 Outside
Selection Process: Relative Ability. A Candidate List will be established
Number of Positions Open: 1
Posting Period: 04-AUG-2020 to 18-AUG-2020
- Performs maintenance and repair work on pool filtration and pumping equipment at indoor and outdoor swimming pools and spas.
- Circulates to all swimming pools and spas to perform proactive inspections. Tests and confirms all pool equipment functions in accordance with the Public Health Act. Ensures that Emergency shutdown switches, Chemical timers, Flow interlock systems, and Vacuum Alert systems are properly functioning.
- Completes daily Waterslide inspections and maintains log books in accordance with the T.S.S.A. Act. 2000. .
- Provides direction and trains various personnel on safe operational procedures, emergency shutdowns, and proper/safe operation of pool equipment, pool mechanical systems, and water balancing to ensure safe pool conditions.
- Performs chemical, temperature and other testing as required and documents same.
- Repairs and replaces metering pumps such as chlorine and Slurry pumps, high pressure CO2 injectors, meters and regulators.
- Operates, repairs, and replaces various models of chemical pool controllers, and cleans/replaces probes.
- Makes timely operational decisions and addresses/responds to emergencies, providing advice and expertise.
- Diagnoses and troubleshoots mechanical, chemical, and water balancing issues and takes appropriate corrective action in accordance with policies and procedures. Coordinates with various trades, construction crews, and external contractors such as Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC, and Specialized Pool Equipment Contractors.
- Arranges, provides direction to Contractors in repairs, pool chemical deliveries, and material as it pertains to pool systems.
- Oversees the work of contactors ensuring that health and safety, work specifications and standards are maintained.
- Handles and works safely with various chemicals and materials used in swimming pool and spa operations.
- Performs work in a safe, efficient and courteous manner.
- Utilizes a variety of hand and power tools and equipment and is responsible for their maintenance and care.
- Follows legislated Confined Space entry procedures and proper lock out/tag out protocol.
- Maintains swimming pools and spas to comply with City Of Toronto Public Health guidelines.
- Performs annual cleaning, removal and de-scaling of pool filters, high rate sand and Perlite style filters.
- Performs maintenance to prepare pools for summer operations and winterizing of equipment for the off season.
- Prepares reports and maintains records/logs on pool and spa operations.
- Completes reports (e.g., Slide inspection, Driver’s Collision/Incident Report) related to assigned duties and
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Experience in the safe and efficient operation of pools, waterslides and associated facilities including automatic pool water level control systems.
- Experience in the safe and efficient operation of all vehicles, equipment, specialized attachments and materials related to the duties of this position.
- Must possess a Certified Pool Operator's Certificate or equivalent certification.
- Must possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class "G" Driver's License and must qualify for the City's equipment operating permits and requirements
You must also have:
- Knowledge in the operation and maintenance of facilities, including equipment, materials, procedures and preventative maintenance programs, having regard to work location.
- Knowledge of the T.S.S.A. Act 2000 as it relates to Amusement devices, specifically water slides.
- Effective oral and written communications skills, including the ability to prepare accurate and concise operation reports.
- Ability to make minor mechanical repairs to equipment.
- Ability to provide work direction and training to others.
- Ability to use hand tools, power tools, and mechanical equipment and to make minor mechanical repairs associated with facility.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public and staff and solve problem situations, taking appropriate action.
- Ability to ensure appropriate maintenance standards for fire and safety conditions.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, drawings and operating manuals.
- Must possess or ability to obtain a "Mechanic in Training" sign off document for water slides.
- Must possess or ability to obtain Confined Space entry rescue training certification.
- Ability to maintain Standard First Aid and CPR certification.
- Must be familiar with the applicable Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and Collective Agreements provisions.
- Must be familiar with the applicable By-laws and relevant policies and procedures.
- Must be able to work shifts, weekends and overtime as may be required at various locations.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request.