Data Analyst, Business Operations
Toronto - Ontario (ON),
Brookfield Asset Management
Estimated salary $42.80 - $50.36 an hour
Brookfield Asset Management Inc. is a global alternative asset manager with over $500 billion in assets under management. We have more than 120 years’ experience of owning and operating assets with a focus on property, renewable energy, infrastructure and private equity. Our assets are held through a growing portfolio of private funds and public, listed entities. Brookfield is publicly listed on the NYSE, TSX and Euronext.
The Brookfield Private Equity Group (BPEG) operates and manages approximately $30 billion of assets through its listed entity (Brookfield Business Partners (“BBU”)) and private investment vehicles (Brookfield Capital Partners series of private funds). Our businesses operate within a number of industries including commercial and residential real estate services, road fuel distribution and marketing, construction services, energy exploration and production, oilfield and marine services, industrial manufacturing, metals and mining, water and wastewater services. Our operations are global, located in North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australia.
Reporting to the MD Business Operations, the Data Analyst, Business Operations is an active member of the Business Operations team, responsible for compiling and analyzing data to extract insights related to companies the broader team is evaluating for potential investments and provide support in identifying value creation opportunities at our existing portfolio businesses. The insights will be used to identify strategies related to revenue growth, cost optimization and capital decisions, etc. A combination of business understanding, technical skills and critical thinking will be required to extract actionable insights that can be used during investment due diligence and portfolio management.
This position represents an opportunity to play a key role in a growing Business Operations team with a focus on analysis, problem solving and opportunity ideations.
Critical to the success of this position is the ability to see an organization holistically while managing multiple, concurrent projects, and working collaboratively across the Business Operations team.
- Support the due diligence process:
- Works closely with end users (due diligence team) to mine, clean, massage and manipulate data from flat files, company databases and 3rd party sources to create analytics, develop insights and help identify opportunities and recommendations for key stakeholders
- Develops and maintains data visualizations in various formats such as dashboards, reports, and presentations
- Responds promptly and fully to requests related to ad hoc analyses, reports, and other management information services on a consultative basis
- Develops business processes and systems for improvements in accuracy, efficacy, and efficiency
- Assists with streamlining and automating processes, where applicable
- Ensures compliance with all data management policy and procedure
- Effectively manages projects and associated competing priorities, deliverables, and timelines
2. Support the Portfolio Management:
- Mines, cleans, and manipulates data from monthly and quarterly internal update reports to BAM PE management from each business, creating analytics of actual results against annual and long-term business plans to identify improvement opportunities
- Translates business requirements into data analytics requirements
- Works closely with end users to determine requirements for data, reports, analysis, metadata, training,
A professional, positive attitude and capable of contributing to a dynamic and team-oriented culture, the individual is financially astute, detail focused and demonstrates good business judgment. Self-motivated with a proven ability to perform in complex situations, cope with multiple and changing priorities and meet deadlines. Direct and insightful in approach, s/he possesses clear communication and interpersonal skills to quickly gain the respect and support from the Business Operations team.
- Post-secondary degree in science, technology, engineering, math, economics, business, statistics or an equivalent field with a focus on business intelligence & analytics
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in data analytics/business intelligence
- Advanced ability to use MSFT office tools, VBA knowledge and experience is helpful
- Strong ability and hands on knowledge of writing SQL, as well as SQL query optimization experience
- Strong ability in tabular reporting tools such as SSRS, Cognos, etc.
- Strong technical and design skills with a BI dashboard tool: PowerBI preferred but Tableau and Cognos experience also applicable
- Working knowledge of using SQL Server (SSIS, SSMS, SSRS, SSAS etc.) and/or Azure tools
- Knowledge of statistical concepts in support of analysis and reporting.
- Experience using statistical computer languages (Python, R, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets
- Experience analyzing data from 3rd party providers a plus: Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Core metrics, AdWords, Crimson Hexagon, etc.
- A curious analytical mind, strong attention to detail and quick learner
- Comfort with ambiguity, strong problem-solving skills and intellectual curiosity to find hidden patterns in datasets
- Structured thinker with the ability to rapidly drive to insights and implications
To be successful within the Brookfield organization, the individual must be committed to collaboration and teamwork. S/he shows personal initiative and strong work ethic at every turn and would be described by others as humble and low ego. This individual puts the needs of the organization, its people, and its investors ahead of his/her own and is driven by the opportunity to work with others to create long-term value.
At Brookfield, we care about your privacy and strive to protect Applicant Data throughout the recruitment process. To that end, information that we gather from applicants via job postings, is used solely for the purposes of recruiting and hiring. For more details, we encourage applicants to read Brookfield's Applicant Data Protection and Privacy Notice, found on our website:
Powered by JazzHR