Durham - Ontario (ON),
Durham District School Board
Permanent, full-time position
Through its "Ignite Learning" campaign, the Durham District School Board (DDSB) has outlined its strategic priorities, which include Success, Well-Being, Leadership, Equity, Engagement and Innovation. This is an exciting opportunity for a Carpenter to contribute meaningfully to these priorities.
Under the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor, and working either on-site or in the carpenter shop, you'll build, repair, replace, renovate or construct various Board structures that ensure safety, are customized and provide optimal use, provide estimates for renovation or construction project requests, and supervise summer students.
As a licensed Carpenter, you'll be called upon to build custom millwork – from determining the types of materials to be used, and ordering materials and supplies, to delivering and installing the finished product; repair or replace stage and other doors; repair gymnasium benches, hardwood floors and laminate counters; build and install new countertops; and much more. Keeping schools and other Board facilities in safe operating order will also include performing duties such as building walls, adding new windows or door openings, building accessible ramps, and building and installing bulletin boards.
This position involves using drafting protractors, a compass, dividers, graph paper, a computer/printer, hand tools (saw, hammer, etc.), power tools (saw drill, etc.), heavy equipment, and a car and/or equipment truck, as well as a smart phone or other handheld device, and work order software.
Your profile as a qualified Carpenter will include:
- A Grade 12 diploma and successful completion of a community college Certificate in Carpentry and apprenticeship requirements for a carpenter trades ticket.
- 1 to 2 years of work experience as a licensed carpenter.
- A valid driver's licence.
- Familiarity with W.H.M.I.S., and occupational health and safety regulations, a working knowledge of the Ontario Building Code and the Ontario Fire Code, and general knowledge of other trades.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Board staff, colleagues, other trades and the public.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Keyboard skills and familiarity with using computerized systems for recording information.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position, as detailed in the Physical Demands Analysis.
Wage rate: $31.39 per hour
The Durham District School Board (DDSB) is responsible for public education in the rural settings of Uxbridge, Brock and Scugog Townships and the urban settings of Ajax, Whitby, Pickering and Oshawa. The DDSB accommodates a school population of nearly 70,000 regular day students, through 132 elementary and secondary schools and learning centres, and thousands more who take advantage of a wide variety of continuing education and adult credit courses.
To apply online for Posting #2783048, by 4:30 p.m., Monday, March 9, 2020, please go to ddsb.ca.
The DDSB is committed to equity and inclusion in the recruitment and hiring of qualified staff who reflect the diversity of our region. We encourage submissions from candidates who represent the various dimensions of diversity. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.