Food Service Worker - Nutrition
Yarmouth - Nova Scotia (NS),
Nova Scotia Health Authority
$17.01 - $17.71 an hour
Req ID: 55861
Location: Western Zone, Yarmouth Regional Hospital
Department: 3000259 NFS Nutrition & Food Services YRH
Type of Employment: Permanent Hourly PT (40% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Union Status: Support Bargaining Unit - CUPE
Posting Closing Date: 06-Mar-20
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Responsible to and under the direction of the Food Service Supervisor, the Food Service Worker is responsible for performing routine assigned duties in meal preparation, service and meal delivery, tray assembly, catering service, cafeteria service and cleaning related to providing quality, safe and nutritious food as per the Food Service Model to the patients/clients of the facility/community.
The Food Service Worker ensures that the principles and practices that guide the NSHA such as the mission, vision, values, expected behaviors, the leadership philosophy, organizational health, population health, ethics, safety, quality, partnerships and inter-professional collaboration are integrated within the services they provide and through the messages they deliver.
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Successful completion of a Food Handlers’ Course within the past 5 years
- Recent previous work experience in a health care food service environment
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with clients and staff
- Proven ability to use sound professional judgment, initiative and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated judgment and decision making skills
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Demonstrated communication and conflict resolution skills including the ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Demonstrated collaboration and teamwork skills
- Commitment to continuous improvement and innovation
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Demonstrated planning, organization and time management skills
- Commitment to promoting a culture that supports safety, ethical practices and organizational health
- Physically able to perform job duties including:
- The ability to lift in excess of 20 kg
- The ability to withstand the demands of walking and standing most of the workday
- The ability to work in an environment with high heat and temperature fluctuations
- Travel may be required
- Training or experience in an institutional food service setting an asset
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants will be screened on the above qualifications. Applicants must clearly demonstrate how they meet the knowledge and competencies in their cover letter and resume. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Applicants will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing information.
- Permanent, part-time 40% position; 30 hours bi-weekly
- Shifts range from four (4) hours to twelve (12) hours and will include weekends and holidays
$17.0054 - $17.7140 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualification
- Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Support bargaining unit - CUPE position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/