Valley - Nova Scotia (NS),
Dexter Construction Company is a large, diversified Construction Company engaged in all major aspects of the heavy civil construction industry within the Atlantic Provinces. We are currently looking for Concrete Finishers to join our Valley Operations for the 2020 season.
Under the direction of the Foreman, the Concrete Finisher is responsible for performing a variety of tasks including placing, finishing, protecting, and repairing concrete on surfaces of poured concrete, such as floors, walks, sidewalks, roads, or curbs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate a screed to level freshly placed concrete according to grade and depth specification;
- Ensure a smooth concrete surface using a hand trowel, long handled bull float, or powered float;
- Cut joint/grooves in concrete with edging tools to help control cracking;
- Cut out damaged areas, drill holes for reinforcing rods, and position reinforcing rods to repair concrete, using power saw and drill;
- Apply hardening and sealing components to cure surfaces;
- Monitor the wind and air temperature to ensure proper curing of the concrete;
- Be aware of surroundings at all times;
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task;
- Protect and promote the interest of this company in all matters and to take actions as required to satisfy such responsibilities;
- Ensure safety of fellow employees;
- Perform other duties as
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience:
- Ability to follow a firm work schedule as directed by supervisor;
- Must be well versed in construction site protocols, rules and code of conduct;
- Ability to perform a variety of manual tasks requiring the use of independent judgment and action;
- Willingness to work in a team environment;
- Ability to operate required equipment in a safe and responsible manner;
- Comply with all safety policies and procedures;
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers and supervisors to ensure that projects are completed properly;
- Working safely is a condition of employment.
The Concrete Finisher has a physically strenuous and demanding job. The Concrete Finisher will be lifting, pulling and managing heavy equipment and objects, requiring the use of PPE, Hardhat, Steel Toe Boots, and reflective vest to minimize risk on the worksite. The worksite environment for this position is outside in varying weather conditions.
Dexter Construction offers a competitive compensation and benefit package and is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all interested candidates to submit detailed resume.
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified.
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Disability insurance
- Dental care
- Life insurance
Job Type: Full-time
- Concrete Finishing: 1 year (Preferred)