Valley - Nova Scotia (NS),
Dexter Construction Company is a large, diversified Construction Company engaged in all major aspects of the heavy civil construction industry within the Atlantic Provinces. We are currently looking for Asphalt Tailenders to join our Valley Operations for the 2020 season.
Under the direction of the Foreman, the Asphalt Tailender is responsible for properly operating the controls on a free-floating screed to control the quantity and consistency of asphalt that is deposited. This position is responsible for determining the quantity of asphalt required to achieve the correct grade in the finished surface.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate valve to regulate flow of material at a specified rate;
- Signal to Asphalt Paving Machine Operator to start and stop paving machine;
- Monitor distribution of material over road surfaces to ensure uniform distribution;
- Turn hand wheels to set angle and depth of screed;
- Operate depth gauge to verify depth specifications of compacted asphalt;
- Be aware of surroundings at all times;
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task;
- Protect and promote the interest of this company in all matters and to take actions as required to satisfy such responsibilities;
- Ensure safety of fellow employees;
- Perform other duties as assigned;
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience:
- Ability to follow a firm work schedule as directed by supervisor;
- Must be well versed in construction site protocols, rules and code of conduct;
- Ability to perform a variety of manual tasks requiring the use of independent judgment and action;
- Willingness to work in a team environment;
- Ability to operate required equipment in a safe and responsible manner;
- Comply with all safety policies and procedures;
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers and supervisors to ensure that projects are completed properly;
- Working safely is a condition of employment.
The Asphalt Tailender has a physically strenuous and demanding job working with hot asphalt mix. The Asphalt Tailender will be lifting, pulling and managing heavy equipment and objects, requiring the use of PPE, Hardhat, Steel Toe Boots, and reflective vest to minimize risk on the worksite. The worksite environment for this position is outside in varying weather conditions.
Dexter Construction offers a competitive compensation and benefit package and is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all interested candidates to submit detailed resume.
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified.
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Disability insurance
- Dental care
- Life insurance
Job Type: Full-time