Valley - Nova Scotia (NS),
Dexter Construction Company is a large, diversified Construction Company engaged in all major aspects of the heavy civil construction industry within the Atlantic Provinces. We are currently looking for an Asphalt Raker to join our Valley Operations for the 2020 season.
Under the direction of the Foreman, the Asphalt Raker works as part of the paving crew and is primarily responsible for using rakes to efficiently redistribute the asphalt mix as it leaves the screed to ensure the asphalt is ready for rolling.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Rake and redistribute asphalt mix as it leaves the screed to prepare area for rolling;
- Spread asphalt using efficient techniques and maintaining a good pace;
- Shovel excess asphalt and sweep up debris;
- May operate a variety of hand and power tools as well as some equipment;
- Perform a variety of tasks involving strenuous manual labor;
- Be aware of surroundings at all times;
- Maintain a clean job site, picking up tools and equipment in order to eliminate potential hazards;
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task;
- Protect and promote the interest of this company in all matters and to take actions as required to satisfy such responsibilities;
- Ensure safety of fellow employees;
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience:
- Ability to follow a firm work schedule as directed by supervisor;
- Must be well versed in construction site protocols, rules and code of conduct
- Ability to perform a variety of manual tasks requiring the use of independent judgment and action;
- Willingness to work in a team environment;
- Ability to operate required equipment in a safe and responsible manner;
- Comply with all safety policies and procedures;
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers and supervisors to ensure that projects are completed properly;
- Working safely is a condition of employment.
The Asphalt Raker has a physically strenuous and demanding job working with hot asphalt mix. The Asphalt Raker will be lifting, pulling and managing heavy equipment and objects, requiring the use of PPE, Hardhat, Steel Toe Boots, and reflective vest to minimize risk on the worksite. The worksite environment for this position is outside in varying weather conditions.
Dexter Construction offers a competitive compensation and benefit package and is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all interested candidates to submit detailed resume.
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Job Type: Full-time