Point Aconi - Nova Scotia (NS),
Emera Nova Scotia
Estimated salary $20.61 an hour
Nova Scotia Power’s greatest source of energy is our people. In a culture focused on safety, we’re committed to providing exceptional service to our customers and rewarding jobs to our employees. We’re hiring solution-minded people excited to help us grow into the future. We are currently looking to fill the position of Janitor.
As a member of the team, you will be responsible for the safe and efficient performance of janitorial duties including but not limited to sweeping, stripping floors, wet mopping, dusting and cleaning hallways, lunchrooms, offices and washrooms in designated areas of the plant.
You may be temporarily assigned to other locations to assist other areas when required and will be expected to travel throughout the province.
You must be willing to participate in on-the-job training or training programs that support the development of additional skills.
You will be responsible for personal safety and that of your co-workers by observing and ensuring compliance with all Occupational Health and Safety Rules and Regulations. You will be accountable for environmental performance as it relates to the environmental management system processes and initiatives.
Skills, Capabilities and Experience: A Grade XII education or equivalent, or reading and writing skills necessary to safely and effectively perform the duties of the position, is required. You must be able to perform heavy labour duties and have proper knowledge of using cleaning solutions and the operation of an all-purpose floor polisher. Experience in cleaning methods and some knowledge of general building maintenance is required. You must be a self-motivated person capable of working in a team environment. The ability to get along well with others and work with minimum supervision is essential. It is required that you currently have or are willing to take WHMIS training. Custodian experience and a strong environmental awareness and dedication, with particular understanding and experience with recycling requirements and standards, would be an asset.
This position is considered a safety sensitive position. As such, the successful candidate must comply with the Emera Alcohol and Drug Policy which requires a confidential pre-employment alcohol and drug test in accordance with the Emera Alcohol and Drug Procedure.
Work Conditions and Physical
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. from the floor to waist height on a minimal basis and 10-36 lbs. from the floor to overhead height occasionally
- Able to carry items with one or two hands that weigh between 10-50 lbs. on a minimal basis, with the ability to lift 22 lbs. frequently
- Ability to push and pull up to 50 lbs. with upper body strength on a minimal basis and occasionally push and pull up to 13.5 lbs. using whole body strength
- Possess light grip strength and perform frequent static reaching from waist level to shoulder and occasionally overhead
- Perform minimal side neck flexion and twisting
- Perform bending, stooping, forward flexion, climbing, kneeling, squatting, crouching, neck extension and rotation occasionally with a range of finger dexterity to complete tasks that include fine manipulation
- Possess the ability to walk frequently and stand both static and dynamic on a constant basis in order to perform tasks during the duration of the shift
Reports to: Controls Supervisor
Form of Application: Click the APPLY button at the end of the online job posting. Complete all required information fields and copy and paste your covering letter and resume into the online form.
Salary: $20.61 per hour as per the NSPI/IBEW Collective Agreement
Must Be Received By: All interested candidates should apply no later than April 23, 2021.
Late applications may not receive consideration.
Recruitment and Promotion Policy: When filling vacant positions, we are determined to hire the best candidates available. We're committed to providing employees with a fair and equal opportunity to compete for jobs. Hiring and promotion of employees is based on skills, capabilities, knowledge and demonstrated abilities.
We value diversity in the workplace and strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including African Nova Scotians and other members of the visible minority community, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and women in non-traditional roles.
Normally, unless otherwise requested in advance, the supervisors of internal candidates selected for an interview will be contacted in order to facilitate scheduling of the interviews. The supervisor will maintain the confidentiality of the employee's application.