Manager, Competency Based Education
Halifax - Nova Scotia (NS),
$51,504 - $69,683 a year
This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Compensation & Job Evaluation Unit in approximately six months.About Dalhousie University
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 19,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.Job Summary
The Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) office manages over 50 Dalhousie University training programs with over 560 PGME trainees (residents/fellows) located at 9 sites in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. Reporting to the Competency Based Medical Education Faculty Lead, the Manager is responsible for the implementation of Competency Based Medical Education (CBME) for all postgraduate training programs which are transitioning to this new model.Key Responsibilities
- Work with CBME Lead to guide program directors and administrators through CBME implementation. Develop a project timeline in collaboration with the CBME Lead and ensure adherence.
- Meet with individual programs and groups to advise on process and procedure development related to CBME. Assist with prioritizing implementation elements and providing resources to programs. Establish effective working relationship across the post graduate departments and University.
- Provide guidance on recurrent and well-established processes to program directors and administrators, and Competence by Design leads on administrative processes related to CBME implementation. Function as the first liaison within the University and externally with various agencies.
- Advise PGME Policy Committee of required revisions and additions to academic policies and regulations to accommodate CBME. Advise programs of changes to their policies to support CBME implementation.
- Coordinate the ongoing program evaluation strategy and quality improvement process for CBME implementation, including conducting environmental scans and coordinating evaluation strategy design.
- Develop and manage a communication strategy with all CBME programs and various stakeholders to support the implementation process.
Occasional evening work will be required.Qualifications
Undergraduate degree in related field plus approximately three to five years of relevant experience (or equivalent combination of training and experience) preferably in the health care or higher education environment, is required. Experience in program management/administration and in leading, developing and implementing projects and/or change initiatives is required. Ideally, the successful candidate will have experience in a health care or higher education environment, as well as a basic understanding of adult education principles and learning styles is preferred. Must demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills with proven experience in stakeholder engagement. Demonstrated ability to work independently and problem solve are required. Must have demonstrated strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Proficient computer skills (MS Office package and learning management systems) is an asset.Job Competencies
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate proficiency in Dalhousie’s core and leadership competencies (https://www.dal.ca/dept/leaders.html), in particular:
- Self-Awareness & Professionalism
- Knowledge & Thinking Skills
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.Application Consideration
Applications from university employees and external candidates are given concurrent consideration. Among short-listed candidates, university employees will be given special consideration.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.Diversity Statement
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.