Child and Youth Care Worker
Fort Smith - Northwest Territories (NT),
Shift Human Services Consulting
Estimated salary $24 an hour
$24/hour, shift work - Child & Youth Care Worker
Ref: 42 Date Posted: Monday 07 Dec 2020
Are you passionate about working with kids and youth? This amazing opportunity as a Child and Youth Care Worker at Trailcross Treatment Centre may be for you. Trailcross is an eight-bed/24-hour treatment and therapeutic group care facility for youth aged 12-18. The program blends modern clinical practices with comprehensive cultural and outdoor education.
Child and Youth Care Workers are responsible for planning, organizing, leading and evaluating appropriate programming based on the physical, mental, and emotional needs of children and youth in the residence. This role also ensures the safe, efficient operation of the residence and assists clients to establish and maintain daily life skills.
- Build healthy relationships with youth in the residence by demonstrating interest in the individual, positive reinforcement for behaviours, building self-esteem and negotiating focused goals.
- Work with each youth to assist in identifying/assessing their strengths and needs.
- Provide on-site supervised visits for children and youth.
- Maintain a safe environment via safety inspections, emergency procedures, crisis intervention techniques, non-violent physical restraint techniques, and identifying signs and symptoms of abuse.
- Perform organizational duties by completing documentation, performing administrative duties, and managing workload.
- Provide shift coverage days, nights, week-ends and holidays as scheduled.
- Promote a friendly, supportive environment for co-operative living and conflict resolution skills among youth.
- Assist youth in the residence in developing daily routines for healthy meal planning preparation, and housekeeping duties.
- Assist in the delivery of therapeutic life skills, recreational and cultural programming
- Implement and put into effect house rules and policies and conduct searches as necessary.
- Provide crisis
- Child and Youth Care experience.
- Comfort working with youth of all ages.
- Ability to initiate, develop and deliver programming.
- Ability to set and maintain firm, reasonable limits and boundaries.
- Ability to maintain calm demeanor when faced with challenging behaviors and de-escalate client crises.
- Experience in group facilitation and group dynamics.
- Demonstrates understanding of crisis intervention and prevention and suicide prevention and intervention.
- Must possess an unrestricted driver’s license.
- WHMIS, Food Handler's, First Aid/CPR and NVCI training to be obtained upon hire.
- Successful candidates are responsible for providing a clear criminal reference check, vulnerable sector screening, a clear tuberculosis skin test, and a clear driver’s abstract.
- Shift work (8 hour shifts including evenings, weekends, and overnights).
- A minimum of 16 hours per week guaranteed with possibility of picking up other shifts on an as-need basis.
Shift is a specialized care operator. Founded in 2011, our organization has developed a unique model for the management and staffing of complex care facilities in some of Canada's most remote locations. With a strong focus on supporting children & youth, we incorporate cultural and on-the-land opportunities, paired with experiential learning and trauma-informed care. Our programs in Nunavut and NWT are driven by a leading team of professionals from across the country.