Intern - Geologist
Labrador City - Newfoundland And Labrador (NL),
Estimated salary $16.31 an hour
- Rio Tinto was named Canada’s Top 100 Employer and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People for 2019 & 2020
- Get real work experience at one of the largest mining and metal companies in the world, focused on security and inclusion values
- Work with the newest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change
- Summer 2021 internship
We are offering a 4-month internship opportunity, with a possibility to extend to 8 months, in Geology in Labrador City at our Iron Ore Company of Canada group facility.
About the role
- Assist with geological and geotechnical core logging and sampling to collect pertinent data and ensure timely processing of samples
- Conduct field work related to the diamond drill program, such as: hole surveying, reconnaissance and downhole installations
- Work to high standards for quality assurance, quality control and data validation of for all geological data
What you’ll bring
- At least one year completed in Geology, Earth Sciences or Geological Engineering
- Safety mindset
- Leadership skills, eagerness to learn and ready for the challenge ahead
- Flexibility and Autonomy
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a team
- Valid driving license
What’s on offer
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A competitive salary
- An ambitious, exciting and rewarding experience
- Opportunity to build relationships with the Rio Tinto team
- A great chance to prepare yourself to join our Graduate Development Program
- A relocation allowance and a premium are offered for students outside the region
Where will you be working?
The Iron Ore Company of Canada (IOC) is a leading Canadian producer of iron ore concentrate and iron ore pellets that serves customers worldwide. The company operates a mine, a concentrator and a pelletizing plant in Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as port facilities in Sept-Îles, Quebec. It also operates a 418 kilometer railroad that links the mine to the port. This internship is based in Labrador City.
- Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove job postings prior to the stated closing date, therefore, if you are interested in applying for this vacancy please submit your application as soon as possible.