Fixed Assets Accounting Team Lead
Saint John - New Brunswick (NB),
Who are we?
Founded in 1924, Irving Oil is a family-owned company with operations throughout Eastern Canada, New England, and Ireland with a focus on providing exceptional service and high-quality products to our customers. Every day, we strive to put our good energy in action to bring families together, support the environment and local wildlife, and to create learning opportunities that empower the next generation.
Here's what you can expect from us
When you're a part of our team, you'll see how we bring good energy to our business and our employees. Together, we will support our corporate strategy, high standards and the communities where we live and work. Our collaborative approach, commitment to diversity and inclusion along with our safety-first culture helps reinforce our internal brand position where People Matter. That's why we're dedicated to the development of our employees, so that they can reach their career goals.
What you can expect in a typical day:
As a Fixed Assets Accounting Team Lead, you will be required to work with capital projects stakeholders across a variety of business lines to ensure compliance with finance processes and accounting policies. Focusing on process improvement to ensure work processes are efficient and effective, the role ensures that key internal stakeholders such as Tax, Internal/External Reporting and Operations have reliable and relevant data to make decisions and report business results. The Fixed Assets Accounting Team Lead also directs the work activities of direct reports and will involve coaching and mentoring of those staff for their career path and development.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Lead the team in the completion of the day to day activities, the month-end financial close process, and the quarter-end/year-end deliverables to the area of responsibility
- Ensure that all policies and procedures are compliant from a projects and asset accounting perspective which is accomplished by regular touch points and developing positive working relationships with team members to ensure high-quality information
- Review and approve project workbooks that support asset additions while focusing on continuous improvement and the customer (internal and external) requirements
- Manage human resources in the team including performance appraisals, salary increases, terminations, personal development, career management and succession planning
- Develop process metrics and KPI’s to support robust process compliance and manage workloads for effective use of resources and adapting to changing requirements
- Ensure that policies and procedures are implemented appropriately within the area of responsibility understanding the capital project life-cycle overarching processes and discrete business line processes and procedures to achieve desired objectives
- Strong ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment that is deadline driven and constantly evolving
- Excellent creative thinking skills with the ability to understand implications of decisions
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- High attention to detail to perform adequate review and approval verification
- Ability to work in a team and direct the work of subordinates by providing timely constructive feedback where necessary
- Ability to support team members in professional development through coaching, mentoring and providing opportunities to develop
- Excellent MS Excel skills, with the ability to use at an advanced level
- Must have a high level of technical knowledge of accounting policies and procedures and can quickly apply the technical knowledge to practical situations
- Excellent understanding of process flow and the use of IT systems
- Travel is not a requirement for this role
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in accounting
- 5-8 years of accounting experience required
- CPA (Chartered Professional Accountant) designation is an asset
- Experience using Oracle EBS (Projects and Assets) and overall knowledge of the capital project life-cycle is an asset
Irving Oil supports a diverse and inclusive work environment and welcomes applications from all qualified applicants.
Job Requirements - Work Experience
Job Requirements - Education
LocationSaint John, NB