Winnipeg - Manitoba (MB),
Estimated salary $23.99 an hour
Requisition ID: 281276
Position Number: 20032497
Posting End Date: August 25, 2021
Site: WRHA Corporate
Work Location: Health Sciences Centre
Department / Unit: Pharm Assistants/Technicians Grp 3 - HSC
Job Stream: Clinical Support
Union: MAHCP-PHARM HSC
Anticipated Start Date: 09/13/2021
Anticipated Shift: Days;Weekends;Non-Repeating (non-conforming)
Daily Hours Worked: 7.75
Annual Base Hours: 2015
Salary: $23.994, $24.351, $24.926, $25.485, $26.005, $26.536
Grow your career in the Winnipeg Health Region! Our team provides a spectrum of health care services through an integrated network of sites, services and organizations. We’re united by a shared commitment to excellent and equitable health care.
Reporting to the Pharmacy Manager and under the general supervision of a Pharmacist or other Pharmacy Technician, the incumbent is responsible for performing the following tasks:
Procures stores, prepares, compounds, packages, maintains, issues, and distributes drugs, chemicals, and supplies in accordance with policy, directives and procedures of the Regional Pharmacy Program. Completes related clerical duties (document, record, price, and filing).
- Reviews the information in a prescription for compliance with federal and provincial law.
- Upon approval by the College of Pharmacists of Manitoba and as approved by a pharmacist manager, before a drug is dispensed, performs a final check when the process of preparing the drug for dispensing was performed by another technician, pharmacy assistant, student or intern.
- Dispenses a drug if a pharmacist has approved filling the prescription.
- Identifies drug related problems that require referral to a pharmacist.
- Provides instructions to a patient about the operation of defined medical devices.
- In an outpatient pharmacy, asks a practitioner and receives his or her instructions for refilling an active prescription without change to the prescription.
- Performs necessary tasks at an external dispensing site.
- Precepts and trains Pharmacy Technicians-in–training, Pharmacists, Pharmacy Technician students, Pharmacy Assistants, and pharmacy interns who are performing the above tasks.
- Maintains current competencies that underlie the main duties of a Pharmacy Technician.
- Provides annually to their supervisor, a record of continuing education requirements to maintain their eligibility to be a Pharmacy Technician under the legislation of the Pharmaceutical Act and Regulations.
- One year experience as a Pharmacy Technician in a hospital setting is preferred.
- a CCAPP Accredited Pharmacy Technician Certificate OR
- the program prescribed by the College of Pharmacists of Manitoba for candidates who successfully complete a non-CCAPP Accredited Pharmacy Technician
- Recognized or eligible to be recognized as a Pharmacy Technician by the College of Pharmacists of Manitoba (CPhM) is required.
- Pharmacy Technician Certificate.
- Completion or eligible to complete the CPhM Pharmacy Technician Structured Practical Training Program and CPhM Pharmacy Technician Jurisprudence Examination.
- Ability to pass and maintain Regional Pharmacy Program Pharmacy Technician competency assessments.
Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of medical terminology essential.
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills essential
- Fluency in the English language.
- Demonstrated competency in pharmaceutical calculations.
- Effective analytical and problem solving skills.
- Flexibility and independence in planning work to meet demanding schedules.
- Ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with other individuals.
- Supports the Philosophy/Mission/Goals and Objectives of the Regional Pharmacy Program and the sites it services.
- Maintains confidentiality in all hospital/patient/resident related matters is maintained.
- Good physical and mental health to meet the position demands. Standing, lifting, and repetitive motion.
- Extensive use of eyesight and concentration for precision work. Extensive use of computers.
- Exposure to medications, chemicals, and solvents. May be required to travel to other sites.
The Collective Agreement this position is covered under, is identified by the Union noted above. As a result of The Health Sector Bargaining Unit Review Act, the bargaining agent for this position may differ from the Union identified. In the event you have any questions, please contact your site Human Resources Department.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions across the WRHA legal entity that combine to equal more than 1.0 EFT. The WRHA legal entity includes Churchill Health Centre, Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, Pan Am Clinic, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA corporate programs, and WRHA community health services.
Interviewed candidates may be called upon to participate in a skills assessment.
Any application received after the closing time will not be included in the competition.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request during the assessment and selection process.