Winnipeg - Manitoba (MB),
Canadian Cancer Society
WHY JOIN THE CANADIAN CANCER SOCIETY (CCS)?
We are the only national charity that supports Canadians with all cancers in communities across the country—no other organization does what we do. As the voice for Canadians who care about cancer, we fund groundbreaking research, provide trusted information about cancer, offer a support system to help people with cancer and their families cope, and shape health policies to prevent cancer and support those living with the disease.
With the help of hundreds of thousands of people that the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) brings together, we are a force-for-life in the face of cancer. Join us and you can work with passionate and committed individuals from coast to coast who are working to improve the cancer experience by helping people live longer and enhancing their quality of life.
To learn more about us, visit cancer.ca.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Content Design, the Content Specialist is responsible for researching, writing and maintaining of cancer information online, and supporting the development and maintenance of cancer information in other media. This role is critical to CCS’s development and ongoing maintenance of clear, accurate and expert-reviewed information for people living with cancer and their caregivers.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
Researching, writing, and maintaining online cancer information
- Research, write and maintain cancer information on cancer.ca according to content guidelines.
- Provide input to Senior Manager, Content Design to establish content direction and identify gaps
- Communicate with Senior Manager, Production to ensure content is reviewed and updated according to established schedule
Supporting the development, maintenance, and delivery of cancer information in other media
- Provide content review and support for print and other media (e.g. video).
- Act as a resource for Cancer Information Helpline staff in handling complex cancer information inquiries by email
- Other duties as assigned
Working with internal and external colleagues to deliver evidence-informed content that meets the needs of diverse audiences
- Collaborate with in-house editors to ensure content adheres to CCS style and plain language principles
- Collaborate with translators to provide content for French translation
- Collaborate with graphic designer to develop and revise medical illustrations
- Collaborate with internal and external expert reviewers
- Degree in science, nursing or an allied health field (for example psychology or social work) or work experience in oncology, patient health education, health communication, or combination of education and experience.
- Registration with a health-related professional body an asset
- Experience researching and writing health information
- Experience applying web writing and usability best practices
- Familiarity with health literacy and plain language principles and the information needs of cancer patients
- Familiarity with consumer, health-related information along with an interest in new, emerging media
- Familiarity with the Information and Communications Standard of AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act)
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills with an ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Ability to learn and work within content management systems
- Ability to communicate written and orally in French an asset
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
CCS offers meaningful opportunities to help make a difference in the lives of Canadians with cancer and their families. We are committed to fostering a culture that is inspiring, supportive and exemplifies our core values:
CARING COURAGE INTEGRITY PROGRESSIVE.
In return for your skills and dedication, we offer an attractive compensation package that encompasses a competitive salary, excellent benefits and the opportunity to have a rewarding employment experience where your contributions can make a true difference every day.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume, cover letter and salary expectations by April 6, 2021.
For internal candidates, this position is assigned to salary band 4
CCS is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. CCS will make available reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities upon request.
We thank all candidates for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that in keeping with the mandate of CCS to model and promote healthy lifestyles, employees are not permitted to smoke in or about CCS premises or while carrying out CCS business.