Package-Free Grocery Superhero
Vancouver - British Columbia (BC),
Estimated salary $15 an hour
Passionate about the zero waste movement, food systems, or sustainability issues? Want to have a real impact in the community through your work? Nada is looking for sustainability superstars to join our operations team! This is a full-time position in retail food service, with both front-of-house and back-of-house customer & food service responsibilities.
We’re not your average grocery store! Nada is a package-free grocery on a mission to cultivate a better world by inspiring people to change the way they shop for groceries. We envision an unpackaged future: a lighter world that values a food system free of excess and waste to support the health of both people and planet. Tackling the largest problems in the food system today, Nada offers 100% package-free groceries. We ask our customers to #BYOC (bring your own container) to reduce packaging waste and encourage them to buy only what they need. We deliver the next step to a healthier food system, from sourcing organic veggies from urban farms to making sure that surplus food ends up in the hands of those who need it the most.
About the Position
Nada is looking for friendly, passionate and value-driven people to join our Operations Team. The candidate(s) will work out of our Mount Pleasant location at Fraser & Broadway. The main responsibility of this role is customer service! Our operations team is responsible for ensuring everything from order placement all the way to pick-up and delivery is a smooth and enjoyable experience. Nada is a unique, fast-paced and sustainability-minded retail environment. Responsibilities include filling online orders for pickup and delivery, keeping our customers excited and engaged, and having an exceptional knowledge of the details and practices involved in our store and our products.
This position is full-time (30-40 hours) per week, with at least one shift scheduled on weekends. Working directly with senior management, you will play a key role in shaping the growth path of an innovative local food business as well as have a unique opportunity to get your hands dirty & gain a wealth of experience in sales and operations. Working at Nada is an opportunity to be immersed in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment and to learn from other social entrepreneurs, industry mentors and peers. The successful candidate must be passionate about local food systems and social entrepreneurship and keen to make an impact in this space.
Scope of Work
As Nada is a start-up, the successful candidate must be prepared to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment. In addition to customer relations, sales, and health & safety, the candidate will also support ongoing Nada community outreach and marketing initiatives, as required.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Order Operations
- Receive orders and collaborate with the Order Coordinator to ensure all necessary information is processed and ready for the day
- Efficiently fill each order while providing a high level of customer service and communication
- Help to identify and communicate any order changes or out of stock items
- Maintain a clean and organized workflow throughout the entire shift while being mindful of other workers and tasks going on concurrently.
- Be a resource for customers and fellow employees on product knowledge, sustainable living, workplace safety and Nada policies
- Front of house & cashier responsibilities
- Greet customers in a polite and friendly manner
- Provide excellent customer service, addressing the needs and requests of customers in a timely and effective manner; going above and beyond to make sure that customers walk out the door happy and wanting to return
- Assist customers in understanding the online ordering process, express check-outs and pickup and delivery services
- Help customers find products and respond to questions about our products, sourcing, and social and environmental commitments
- Dispense potentially hazardous foods (PHFs) in customer containers, using established food-safe guidelines
- Follow designated procedures for customer check out, including managing the POS, tare deductions, and cash, credit, and debit
- Opening and closing duties
- Assist with deliveries including proper storage, organization, and rotation of products
- Backroom and inventory management, following established procedures and reporting
- Stocking, replenishing, and managing a variety of specialty grocery products
- Wash, rinse, and sanitize dishes, containers, and utensils.
- Follow and comply with all applicable health and sanitation procedures and adhere to safe work practices.
- End-of-day responsibilities include cleaning of all food contact and food prep areas, and rotating cleaning of bulk bins
- Educating customers about our selection of local, ethically-sourced, package-free products. Be a zero-waste hero!
- Flexibility in assisting the Nada team with additional tasks as needed. Based on candidate interest and experience, this may include some social media assistance, and/or operational support.
- Support ongoing outreach activities to grow the package-free movement in Vancouver. In the past, these have included workshops, pop-ups, film screenings, zero waste hikes, and zero waste picnics. These events may fall on evenings or weekends.
Desired Qualifications & Skills
- Prior experience in the retail or food-service sectors is expected; Food Safe Level 1 certification or higher is a strong asset
- Prior grocery experience is a huge asset
- Exceptional customer service skills – ability to engage and wow customers
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- Self-driven and motivated to take initiative, solve problems, and make improvements
- Team-player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to lift 20-50lbs frequently
- Value growth experiences and making a social impact through community and sustainable food systems
- Passionate and/or curious about zero waste concepts, business models, and lifestyles and a demonstrated interest and knowledge in environmental sustainability issues
Salary & Compensation
This is a full-time position for 30-40 hours per week, with the possibility to grow in both scope and responsibility. $15 per hour, plus 20% staff discount on all groceries.
- Onboarding program with weekly check-ins and quarterly performance reviews
- Introduction to Nada’s Employee Manual, Health & Safety policies, Be a Hero (Anti-Harassment) policies, and Mental Health Guide
- Training in project management and productivity tools as required including Google Drive, Trello, and Slack
Additional professional development opportunities include:
- Opportunity to work in a thriving startup ecosystem with associated peer and mentor network
- Networking with changemakers in Vancouver’s food and entrepreneurship sectors
- Opportunities to attend conferences, training programs, networking events, etc. as required
- Opportunities to participate in key stakeholder meetings, including with suppliers, distributors, and community partners
- Dynamic work environment including flexible scheduling (ability to swap shifts), showers and bike room
Applicants must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person on whom refugee status has been confirmed, and legally entitled to work in Canada.
Nada is committed to inclusion and diversity within its community and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: Aboriginal peoples, visible minorities, all religions and ethnicities, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. If you require special accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.