Vancouver - British Columbia (BC),
As one of Canada's Top Technology Workplaces, Certified Great Place to Work and most recently Best Workplaces for Inclusion, Hothead Games is seeking a passionate UX Generalist (someone with both User Research & UX Design skills) who wants to constantly learn and improve. We will appreciate your honesty, the gut to take responsibility, and being kind and respectful to people you work with.
If you are a curious thinker, who is keen to dive deeper into understanding WHY players expect and behave the way they do in a scientific & objective way; if you believe that you are not only a flow chart, wire frame and interactive prototype maker, you are the one.
You aim to gain further in-depth knowledge on understanding user expectations, motivations and behaviors through observation techniques, task analysis, and other feedback methodologies. You will join the centralized UX team and start with partially User Researcher role and eventually become a five-star UX Generalist (User Researcher & UX Designer) in our studio. You will create a new chapter for Hothead by working closely with all Game Teams Leads, UX Manager and your UX peers.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Partnering with Game Teams Leads, UX Manager and UX peers to fully understand the products and design intentions
- Advocating ‘User-Centered’ game development methods in game teams
- Thinking about game design from both the player & game developer perspectives
- Conceptualizing UX designs through user stories, flow charts, wireframes, and prototypes
- Communicating design visions clearly, to the team and to management or others as needed
- Willing to learn conducting qualitative and quantitative studies, from all game development phases (including Market Research, Player Profiles/Personas, Concept Pitching, Prototype Validation, Game Development, Soft Launch and Live Ops)
- Collaborating with the UX manager and UX peers, organizing scientific studies to find out players' expectations, motivations and behaviors toward our games, providing analysis from the study results and help the teams to break them down into actionable items
- Developing strong relationships with all product teams and other centralized teams
- Please submit portfolio and previous samples of work with resume
- Believing in and understanding ‘User-Centered’ thinking methods
- Feeling comfortable to think in multiple (players & game developers) perspectives
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Educational and/or work experience in a similar capacity, such as UX Design, User Research, Cognitive Psychology, human factors, psychology, market research or related field or equivalent experiences
- Understanding UX Design process and/or qualitative user research and analysis methods
- The passion to always learn & improve
- The ability to listen and understand stakeholders’ requests, propose optimal solution for each initiative and communicate properly the UX design visions and/or user study results to product owners & UX manager
- The ability to shift between multiple projects
This full-time permanent position is for our Vancouver office, located at 1555 West Pender Street, in beautiful Coal Harbour. Compensation includes competitive salary and vacation, MSP and Extended Health coverage. Other cool perks include an in-house gym, on-site Chiropractor/RMT/ Physiotherapy, yoga/fitness classes, RRSP matching, company golfing, major/minor league sports events, summer rooftop BBQs, snacks and beverages, weekly lunch & learns, beer Fridays and most of all, amazing people to work with!
WHY BEING INCLUSIVE IS IMPORTANT TO US
At Hothead Games, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value the diversity of the people we hire and serve. We strive to build and grow our team that fosters variety in backgrounds, perspectives, experiences and skills. We embrace inclusiveness in our workplace, so we can utilize each person’s talents and strengths to make great games.
If you're seeking an awesome new challenge in a fun and engaging studio, we invite you to apply and talk about the possibilities of beginning a rewarding new chapter of your career.