Surrey - British Columbia (BC),
Division 15 Mechanical
Division 15 Mechanical Ltd. is an award-winning construction firm providing design-build, design-assist and construction services for Mechanical and District Energy Systems throughout British Columbia. Division 15 utilizes Building Information Modelling (BIM) and pre-fabrication in a number of sectors, including commercial, education, civic and healthcare, and strives to stay on top of the latest trends in the construction industry. This progressive approach combined with our wealth of construction experience equips us with the necessary tools to confidently manage any project.
Division 15 Mechanical Ltd. offers its employees:
- Competitive salary, plus annual loyalty bonus
- A company-paid comprehensive benefits package, 100% paid by the company
- RRSP and Deferred Profit-Sharing Plans, matched at 3%+
- A positive work environment that recognizes dedicated team players
- Great Company Culture
- A safe and healthy work environment
- Continued professional development at all levels
Division 15 Mechanical Ltd. offers the opportunity to work on challenging, high profile projects and provides competitive compensation and benefits. Great people working on great projects!
Reporting to the VP Business Development & Estimating (VP-BDE), the Estimator is responsible for the preparation & submission of assigned Commercial, Institutional and/or District Energy Mechanical Estimates.
In the course of his/her duties the Estimator provides assistance in the company’s processes and procedures of Estimating & contract fulfillment and assists with limited administrative functions in a professional and personable manner. Under the VP-BDE’s general direction, the Estimator carries out functions within limits imposed by the Management while ensuring that the company’s goals for service, honesty, and reliability are met and exceeded.
To be successful, the Estimator must possess a positive attitude, have good communication skills, and display a willingness to learn. He/she will be part of a team which is strongly customer focused and promotes a safe, positive work environment.
Prepare detailed and accurate Estimates/ Proposals
- Attend Site Visits or Project Information Meetings
- Review, measure, and interpret bid documents to provide all information required for pricing
- Understand all tender requirements (i.e. bonding, insurance, WCB, Registration forms, etc.)
- Read and interpret construction drawings and specifications
- Read, understand and make timely changes related to tender addenda
- Understand and analyze the scope of Subtrades to enable optimal procurement
- Prepare RFQs to suppliers, subtrades etc.
- Perform timely and accurate Project take-offs and write-ups
- Maintain and update estimate labour rates and charge out rates
- Analyze & value engineer mechanical designs
- Develop detailed proposal letter – including the preparation of our bid’s “Exceptions and Clarifications” & “Terms & Conditions” list, bid breakdowns and tender forms
- Develop bid labour, material & all Indirect requirements, complete with pricing
- Participate in development of project indirect costs and
Perform Risk Assessment
- Interpretation of contract documents & regulations to mitigate risk
- Working knowledge of financing language (e.g., equity financing, ROI, cash flows)
- Applies knowledge of the market, Subtrade packages, and associated risks
- Complete environmental checklist as applicable
- Describes damages, penalties and bonuses if any
- Explains the concept of price vs. risk relationship
- Identifies and monitors constructability issues
- Identifies potential risks with each project pursuit at tender stage
- Identifies unusual and onerous clauses
- Ability to provide an opinion on risk during bid review with management
Participate in project start-up and close-out
- Assist the Estimating and/or Project Management Teams in developing project budgets
- Attend feedback meetings with procurement and operations in order to fine tune estimating parameters
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with general contractors, owners, consultants, and Subcontractors & Suppliers
- Develop our network of new Subcontractors and Suppliers in an ongoing effort to obtain optimal pricing
Required Competencies and Qualifications
Training/ Education/ Hard Skills
- Successful completion of post-secondary program in Mechanical Engineering
- General knowledge of Contract/Owner/Engineer General Terms and Conditions
- Knowledge of relevant Plumbing codes, ASHRAE standards, ASME codes and CSA standards relevant to the Plumbing, HVAC & Mechanical Trades
- Relevant Quantity Surveyor Qualification (i.e. CEC, PQS) is preferred
- LEED Accreditation would be an asset
- A minimum of 5 – 8 years’ experience in Mechanical Estimating in the construction industry is required.
- Relevant mechanical trade and field experience is considered an asset
- Intermediate level Microsoft Office Suite proficiency
- Intermediate level MS Project proficiency is an asset
- Knowledge of Mechanical estimating software would be an asset
- Prior experience with Accubid Enterprise Estimating is preferred
- Proficient English oral and written communication skills.
- Able to follow verbal and written instructions and complete required paperwork accurately
- Well-developed problem-solving skills with the ability to find solutions and incorporate them into existing practices as needed
- Organized, with the ability to prioritize workload to meet deliverables and customer expectations within tight deadlines
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skill, both written and oral
- Good understanding of standard industry practices
- Ability to treat fellow employees, clientele, suppliers and subcontractors fairly and work in accordance to the company’s Core Values