Museum Collection Assistant
Sidney - British Columbia (BC),
$18 an hour
Job Title: Collection Assistant
Hours of Work: Variable hours within a 9:00am to 4:30pm workday, may include weekends
Placement Date: 1st June to 30th September 2020
Total Contract Value: $7,560
Sidney Museum is in the middle of a transition period as we undergo a collection storage improvement project including disaster-prevention upgrades to our main collection storage space in 2020. Key activities include the purchase and installation of shelving, as well as rehousing the collection. This project will result in the collection housed according to professional museum best practices and will allow for future growth of the collection.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This position, under the direction of Museum staff, will assist in removing the collection to secure temporary storage to allow for the installation of disaster preventative measures, as well as the reorganization of the collection according to Chenhall Nomenclature and RE-ORG standards to maximize storage space efficiency.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
- Currently enrolled, or hold a diploma, certificate or Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, archival management, library studies, information science, cultural asset management or historical studies. A combination of skills, education and life learning specific to traditional knowledge may be considered;
- Good communication skills;
- the ability to work on one’s own and as part of a team;
- strong organizational skills;
- the ability to move heavy objects within WCB guidelines;
- a willingness to adhere to health and safety standards;
- knowledge of Chenhall Nomenclature or the RE-ORG process an asset, but not required.
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment;
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations.
This position is considered a position of trust, and the successful candidate will be required to have a police information check as a condition of employment (Not required as part of the application process).
Please submit a cover letter and resume (in PDF format) to info AT sidneymuseum.ca
This competition will not close until the position is filled. We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $18.00 /hour