Practicum Student - HireUp/ Youth Employment Lab- Fall 2020
Calgary - Alberta (AB),
The Boys and Girls Club
Practicum Student Position – HireUp/ Youth Employment Lab
Make a difference in the life of a child
Boys & Girls Clubs of Calgary is a leading provider of quality programs to children and youth, with a $20 million dollar operating budget, that supports the healthy physical, educational and social development of more than 4,000 young people and their families each year.
Come join an energetic and fun team that is committed to providing deserving children and youth with hope for the future. The Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary provide a supportive environment in which to share your experience, develop your skills, and take on new challenges.
If you are passionate about making a difference in the lives of children, youth and families the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary is the place for you!
HireUp is an online platform connecting employers to opportunity youth. In Canada, there are close to one million youth who are disconnected from employment, education and training. At HireUp, we recognize that there are two multifaceted factors that contribute to this divide. The majority of opportunity youth face multiple complex barriers that prevent them from obtaining and sustaining employment. Meanwhile, 68 percent of companies struggle to find the right talent and only 1 in 10 employers currently source candidates from untapped talent pools.
The Youth Employment Lab provides employment support for youth ages 12-24 years old. Youth can attend afternoon and evening drop-in hours where they can speak to an employment coach about the challenges they are facing and learn about resources that are available to them.
Youth can also attend employment workshops that focus on a variety of topics such as resumes, cover letters, interviews and job searching online and offline are offered multiple times a month. The lab also offers access to laptops so that youth can work on their resumes and job search with the support of the employment team. Special events occur throughout the month such as visits from employers, free training’s and career information nights.
With support and direction from the HireUp Coordinator, responsibilities of a Youth Employment Practicum Student include but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with different youth serving programs within Boys and Girls Clubs to plan and facilitate employment and recreation programming for youth.
- Overseeing a variety of administrative tasks for the employment team (database creation, scheduling, gathering documents and applications for programs)
- Participating in community outreach activities with external partner agencies alongside the HireUp coordinator.
Fun and energetic environment filled with creative, compassionate, open minded people.
Great support for work-life balance and flexibility in the workplace.
The opportunity to professionally develop your skills and coach others.
The opportunity to volunteer in an agency that has incredible impact in communities in Calgary and surrounding area.
BGCC is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- Solid computer skills using Microsoft Office
- Proven organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills with high attention to detail
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to exercise good judgement, initiative and maturity
- Strong communication skills
- Some evening and weekend availability. Hours of work will fall between the hours of 11am-7pm approximately.
A Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Search Sector and Intervention Record Check (will be completed upon acceptance into the program.)
To apply for this practicum position, please submit your cover letter and resume for consideration. No phone calls please, only qualified candidates will be contacted.