Health & Safety Lead
Calgary - Alberta (AB),
Inn From The Cold
Estimated salary $13 - $15 an hour
You have a passion for making a difference and would describe yourself as someone who seeks a career with purpose. You have a strong internal drive that pushes you to seek challenging work in a collaborative, professional and reputable environment that does meaningful work in Calgary.
At Inn from the Cold (IFTC), our mission is to offer shelter, sanctuary, and healing to assist homeless children and their families achieve independence. We need passionate, high-performing and solution-oriented team members to achieve our mission. For the right candidate, this full-time position will provide an exciting and challenging opportunity with potential for growth.
The IFTC Health and Safety Lead will primarily be responsible to lead Safety Services for the organization, ensuring compliance with all internal procedures and regulatory requirements regarding Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S). The Health and Safety Lead will develop, administer, and implement company-wide occupational safety programs, and will build and/or maintain relations with community police and fire liaisons.
Additionally, working within a client centered care model in accordance with the vision and values of the organization, the Health and Safety Lead will provide support to the Family Services Team in developing and delivering physical wellness programming and resources for families in IFTC Shelter and Housing programs.
- Maintain regular monitoring of amendments to the Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) Act and to Public Health Advisories, and make recommendations for their implementation.
- Perform job site safety compliance inspections including hazard analysis, safe work and emergency procedures, written reports, and recommendations.
- Plan, design, develop, implement, and evaluate occupational safety programs. Responsible for monitoring adherence to the company's safety program by all employees and subcontractors.
- Support Shelter and Housing management in communicating and monitoring adherence to IFTC safety standards by all clients.
- Research, plan, organize and conduct training programs/seminars for employees and clients, regarding Health and Safety including, but not limited to: Orientation, Emergency Procedures, CPR/First Aid, etc.
- Ensure the timely completion of incident reporting and advise on improvements in tracking and reporting procedures.
- Coordinate the activities of the Occupational Health and Safety Committee.
- Coordinate and review the analysis of accident and injury data, identifying the needs for new or modified occupational and client safety programs.
- Research occupational safety information to assure the best available methods and equipment are adopted to minimize the hazards in the workplace.
- Support Family Services Team in working with families to determine their physical activity needs and support them to connect and engage with relevant resources and services.
- Maintain strong interpersonal relationships within coworkers and supervisors in order to build a team that supports safety, health and wellness of staff and client families.
- Develop and maintain a network of strong community partnerships.
- Participate in organizational activities including supervision, team meetings, town halls and team building.
- Participate in professional development opportunities.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of OHS legislation.
- Bachelor's degree or diploma in a related field (Occupational Health and Safety, Human Resources, Kinesiology, Facilitation etc.), will be considered as relevant experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of work related experience in a similar role.
- Enthusiasm for challenge, innovation and team collaboration are prerequisites.
- Experience working in the social services, recreation or education sectors is considered an asset.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work effectively alone and with teams.
- Strong English communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Proficiency with database applications and administration systems.
- Must be a highly motivated, service, and team-oriented individual with an attention to detail.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, and consistent access to a vehicle.
- Current Red Cross First-Aid and/or NVCI Facilitator accreditation.
Inn from the Cold offers development opportunities and a competitive salary and benefits package, including comprehensive health and dental benefits, a health spending account, and RRSP matching after three months of service.
How to apply
This posting will be closed on December 27, 2020
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
No phone calls or email inquiries please.
Embrace Compassion: we fulfill a duty of care, not only to our guests, but to our colleagues and our community
Exhibit Courage: we uphold the convictions of the organization and support our community, especially when faced with adversity
Work Inclusively: we foster a culture where all stakeholders feel they have an opportunity to turn their potential into performance
Demonstrate Respect: we believe the way we treat each other in achieving our objectives is just as important as what we achieve
Act with Accountability: we demonstrate a commitment to our word, accept responsibility for our mistakes, and take action to address them
Encourage Innovation: we take informed risks and champion new ideas